Skip Navigation

Part-time Work in Kobe

International students can also have part-time jobs. Let's check and see what kinds of conditions need to be met to do a part-time job, and how to go about looking for one.

Starting a Part-time Job

Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted

International students who have received "Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted" will be allowed to work part-time jobs. Permission to engage in other activities can be obtained by with a sticker (placed in your passport), or issued as a permission document. Typically, new entrants to the country can apply for this permission at ports of entry and departure.

See more about applying for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted別ウィンドウ
●Necessary documents
  • Application form
  • Residence card (to show)
  • Passport or ID showing your residency status (to show)

Limitations on Working Hours

  • One week's total working hours must be under 28 hours
  • During long vacations at the educational institution at which you're enrolled, one day's work must be under 8 hours

Average Hourly Wages

  • Hyogo Prefecture's minimum wage is 928 yen/hour (since October 2021)
  • *The minimum wage is a system that ensures the minimum amount that all workers can earn.
  • *It applies to all those with workplaces in Hyogo Prefecture, including part-time workers, etc.

Points of Caution

  • Before starting a part-time job, you are required to obtain "Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted."
  • If you start working part-time without this permission to engage in other activities, you will be working illegally.
  • Students are not permitted to work in the adult entertainment industry, or in businesses related to the adult entertainment industry.
  • Regardless of the type of work, even if it is dishwashing or cleaning, students are forbidden from working at adult entertainment businesses, such as brothels, pachinko parlors, mahjong shops, game arcades, bars, etc.

Find a Part-time Job

How to Find a Part-time Job

  • Information on university bulletin boards or from student groups
  • Through the Public Employment Security Office (Hello Work)
  • Through classmates or friends
  • By searching on job sites or online
  • Free papers in stations or convenience stores
  • By applying directly at shops that with signs up advertising a need for staff

Part-time Jobs Popular with International Students

●Japanese ability: N4 or below, with the ability to understand a degree of basic Japanese, including greetings, etc.
  • Worker at a food factory
  • Assistant cook at a hotel or restaurant
  • Hotel cleaning staff
  • Grocery store product processing, display, etc.
●Japanese ability: N3, with the ability to understand a degree of Japanese in everday conversations.
  • Waitstaff at a restaurant
  • Delivery person
  • Sales staff for international customers at electronics stores, drug stores, etc.
●Japanese ability: N2 or above, with the ability to understand Japanese used in a wider variety of contexts than everyday conversation.
  • Convenience Store Staff
  • Grocery Cashier
  • Hotel Front Desk Staff
  • Cram School Teacher, etc.

Points of Caution

Check working conditions

There are rules about working, and students should exercise caution. Be sure to receive a document from your workplace listing your working conditions, inclduing salary and working hours, and be sure to review the document thoroughly.

●Points to review
  1. How long you'll be working at this job (your period of work).
  2. What job you'll be doing and the location at which you'll work.
  3. Working hours and days off.
  4. Hourly wages (The minimum wage in Hyogo Prefecture is 928 yen)
  5. On what day your wages will be paid
  6. Rules about ending your working contract

If you encounter labor problems

There are many different types of problems you may encounter at work, and there may be many things you don't know or issues you might have. If you run into any problems at work, don't feel that you need to face them alone and please seek consultation.

●Foreign Language Consulation
Kobe International Center for Cooperation and Communication: Labor Problems