Skip Navigation

In Case of Emergency

Here, you'll find information on where to get support if you need it, or if you are faced with an emergency like an injury, illness, or natural disaster. In Kobe, there is support for foreign residents, too, so please be sure to reach out if you need help.

Should you get sick or injured

Medical Care

If you get sick or catch a cold, you can buy commercial medicine at pharmacies, but if your symptoms are severe, it's important to go see a doctor. If you do choose to go to the hospital, you'll need to present your health insurance card. Days and times at which you can be seen by a doctor will depend on the hospital you visit, so it's a good idea to check in advance.

●Descriptions of Categories of Medical Care
Internal medicine ("naika")
Non-surgical medical care. There are more specific specializations, including cardiovascular medicine ("junkanki naika") for diseases related to the heart or blood, gastrointenstinal medicine ("shokaki naika") for diseases of the esophagus, stomach, and intenstines; respiratory medicine ("kokyuki naika") for the trachea, bronchial tubes, and lungs; and neurological medicine ("shinkei naika") for the nerves.
External medicine ("geka")
Medical care that primarily uses surgery. External medicine is further subdivided into specializations for different parts of the body.
Orthopedics ("seikei geka")
Surgical care for abnormalities in the bones, muscles, and joints.
ENT/Ear, Nose & Throat ("jibika")
For diseases of the ear, nose, and throat. Surgical treatment may also be performed.
Optometry ("ganka")
Provides not only treatment for eye diseases, but also prescriptions for eye glasses or contact lenses.
Dermatology ("hifuka")
Treatment concerning the skin.
Psychosomatic medicine ("shinryo naika")
Treatment for physical symptoms caused by psychological factors.
Obstetrics & Gynecology ("sanfujinka")
Obstetrics ("sanka") includes pregnancy screenings, childbirth, post-childbirth care, etc. Gynecology ("fujinka") treats diseases of the womb, ovaries, and other female sex organs; as well as irregular menstrual periods and other endocrine disorders.
Dentistry ("shika")
Treatment of the teeth and related organs.
Psychiatry ("seishinka")
Treatment of primarily psychological diseases, such as depression, schizoprenia, etc.

For questions about medical care

Receiving medical care can be a point of uncertainty when you live overseas. If you have worries like not being able to describe your symptoms in Japanese, or not fully understanding how the medical system works, consult with a foreign language medical consultation office.

●Foreign Language Medical Consultation
Kobe International Center for Cooperation and Communication: Medical Consultation
Emergency Consultation Number [#7119] (Japanese only)

In Emergencies

If you determine that your symptoms require emergency attention, call 119 right away.

●A List of Emergency Hospitals
Kobe City Medical Center General Hospital (Japanese only)
Kobe City Medical Center West Hospital (Japanese only)
Kobe City Nishi-Kobe Medical Center (Japanese only)
Kobe University Hospital

What to do when you're in trouble

Report to the police

110 is the emergency phone number to call when an incident has occurred. If you need a police officer to make a visit, do not hesitate to call 110 .

●How to dial 110
  • Check and report the address of your current location or the name of a building, street, or intersection nearby.
  • Stay at the location you reported.
  • It is dangerous to make a call while driving. Make sure to pull over before talking on the phone.
  • Do not turn off your phone even after the phone call ends. The police may call you to double-check your location.
●Points to report to 110
  • What happened?
  • When did it happen?
  • Where did it happen?
  • Details about the perpetrator, their car, in which direction they fled, etc.
  • The state of any injuries or accidents
  • Your (the person making the report) name, address, and phone number

Should you get in a traffic accident

When a traffic accident happens with a bicycle or car, both the victim and the person who caused the crash are likely to be filled with anxiety. Please be sure to review the procedures so you'll know what to do in advance, just in case you're ever involved in an accident.

Kobe International Center for Cooperation and Communication: Traffic Accidents

Natural Disasters

Where should you go to evacuate in the event of an earthquake or typhoon? No one knows when a natural disaster will occur next. It's best to raise your awareness of disaster response and prevention on a daily basis. In the event of a natural disaster, the Kobe International Community Center (KICC) will set up a consultation window specially for foreigners, depending on the conditions of the event, and provide information and answers to questions.

Kobe International Center for Cooperation and Communication: Disaster Prevention